Durres at a Glance
The oldest and second largest city in Albania, Durres is known for its unique historical sites, delicious seafood cuisine and charming Mediterranean beaches.
- Couples looking for a picturesque holiday in a colourful city location.
- Culture and ancient history lovers.
- Families wanting a beach holiday in a resort by the sea.
With their untouched wildlife and scenic views, the mountains surrounding the rural areas are perfect for hiking or camping. If you’re feeling adventurous and wish to explore further, a 30 minute coach ride will take you to the Dajti Mountain, a national park of more than 8000 acres which contains more than 44 species of trees.
- If you’d rather stay by the sea, the Tropical Resort could be the ideal option for you and your family. Located near the beach, it offers a host of facilities, such as restaurants, swimming pools, playgrounds, kids’ clubs and an open air nightclub.
- Those looking for holidays in Durres with a cultural feel may opt for the Nais Beach. Located in the old town, near the archeological Centre and ancient wall, this hotel is the perfect place for those wanting to visit the city’s historical gems.
- Durres is home to the largest Roman amphitheater in the Balkan area, which is now registered on UNESCO’s World Heritage indicative list. With a diameter of 136 meters and a capacity of 20 000 people, the site offers an impressive glimpse into Rome’s grandiose culture of entertainment, made up of wild beast hunts, war plays and gladiatorial shows.
- Discovered in 1962, the Thermal Baths are a fascinating account of the ancient practice of public bathing, and a testament to the Empire’s architectural genius. The site includes a heating system and a large pool of 23 feet in length and 17 feet in width.
- Durres’ archeological museum is the largest in the country. Located near the beach, it holds an extensive collection of artifacts from the Greek and Roman periods, including mosaics, sarcophaguses and mythological statues.
Book With Confidence
You can trust us we're protected by ABTA and ATOL.
Don’t be restricted by package holidays to Albania, create your own tailor made holiday by finding the cheapest prices available for your next holiday to Durres with lowcostholidays.com.
Have a look at these suggestions for a holiday in Albania.