If you’re looking for a lads’ holiday with a difference, book a European city break. You’ll have more luck chatting up girls if you can tell some anecdotes about Berlin culture or Prague galleries than that time you necked a whole bottle of Jagermeister in Newcastle that one time.
European cities are really OLD and whether you want to learn something new, want a new Facebook photo of you and the boys outside a famous landmark or just want to broaden your horizons; city breaks are the best option for a lads holiday.
The capital of Germany, Berlin’s cultural highlights include the remains of the Berlin Wall and the Holocaust Memorial. Your wannabe Banksy mate will appreciate the amount of graffiti art in the city and your festival-loving mate will enjoy the chilled out vibe at the Mauerpark Market. The nightlife is intense, with cheap happy hours, late night bars and swanky clubs.
- Flight Time: 1hr 40min
- Price of a Pint: €3 (about £2.50)
- Watch the Match: Find UK sports on screens at Belushi’s Bar, on Rosa-Luxemburg Straβe.
- Don’t Miss: The Beer Bike! Hire a bike tour with its own bar, sound system and unbreakable glasses!
The bar culture in Krakow is one of the biggest attractions of this Polish city. If you fancy a stylish night out, head to Krakow’s smoky cellar jazz bars, or if you want all-night dancing and cheap Polish beer, head to the city centre for mainstream nightclubs. Rather than hitting the museums and galleries in the day time, explore the long salt mine tunnels at Wieliczka.
- Flight Time: 3hrs 30min
- Price of a Pint: Beer is served in ½ litres for 6 PLN (about £1!)
- Watch the Match: There are plenty of Irish bars in Krakow with big sports screens.
- Don’t Miss: For an unforgettable lads’ activity, go paintballing, zorbing, or even actual Kalashnikov shooting!
The capital of the Czech Republic, Prague’s culture is built on beer! There are over 800 pubs in Prague, most of which will serve the famous Czech Pilsner Urquell and some pubs even have their own micro-breweries. Others serve coffee, banana and blueberry flavoured beer! If you’ve got time, there’s also Europe’s oldest castle and the famous Astronomical Clock in Old Town Square.
- Flight Time: 2hrs
- Price of a Pint: 60 CZK (less than £2)
- Watch the Match: Hooters Bar has a big sports TV and tasty grub.
- Don’t Miss: The after-party at Le Clan club open from 3am until noon the next day!
Barcelona has a little bit of everything, a beach, an international sports stadium, nightclubs and culture. If any of your mates liken themselves to Heston Blumenthal, head to the fine dining restaurants in Eixample, or, if you want to party like the locals, check out the urban nightlife in the El Raval district.
- Flight Time: 3hrs
- Price of a Pint: €4 – €5 (about £4)
- Watch the Match: Barcelona Life bar screens all the major football matches and other sports.
- Don’t Miss: A Barcelona FC tour of Camp Nou Stadium.
So for beer, bars, sport and the odd bit of culture, book a European city break. If you have suggestions for your own favourite laddy destinations, feel free to comment below!