Dongguan at a Glance
The Pearl River delta provides a beautiful watery backdrop to the city of Dongguan, in central Guangdang province. Famous for the setting of the Opium war 150 years ago, Dongguan is bursting with history and Chinese culture.
- Those interested in Chinese history.
- City sight-seers who also like to be close to nature.
- Shoppers; Dongguan is home to the world’s largest shopping mall.
- Lying south of the Tropic of Cancer, Dongguan has a humid sub-tropical climate and experiences warm temperatures throughout the year, making it the ideal winter getaway. If you decide to visit during harvest season and sample some of the delicious local produce. Bananas, litchi and pineapples are all grown here, while the coastline provides an abundance of fresh seafood.
- Discover Dongguan's History; visit the Opium War museum to learn all about the past conflict, and marvel at the original cannons and sites of battle. Another museum that may be of interest is the Humen Naval Battle museum. Designed to look like a towering warship, the museum faces the river estuary, providing a stunning sea setting.
- Spanning the estuary, the Humen Bridge was the first large-scale suspension bridge built independently in China, and is a fantastic feat of engineering. It is most beautiful at night, when the bridge lights shimmer on the water below.
- The New South China Mall is the world’s largest shopping mall, heaven on earth for all you shopoholics out there. Huanghe fashion town is another must for fashion and shopping lovers. Home to China’s largest clothing and textile wholesale markets. Grab on-trend clothing here at low wholesale prices.
- Get pleasantly lost in the maze of pavilions, gardens and pools in the Keyhan Garden, boasting an impressive 108 garden gates, and 130 doorways.
- Take a trip to the Yinxian Resort, harmoniously combining beautiful landscapes with traditional Chinese culture and modern tourist amusements. Wander among the Buddhist statues and temples,then watch the Music Fountain show, a magnificent light, water and sound display. A great day out for all the family.
Book With Confidence
You can trust us we're protected by ABTA and ATOL.
Please also check out our China Holidays page.
Why wait?, book your escape to Dongguan today on lowcostholidays.com for the most attractive deals and a tailor made holiday to suit your taste and your pocket too.