Things to do in Dominican Republic
Famous for its palm-fringed beaches and laid back lifestyle, the Dominican Republic is the perfect holiday destination. If you're planning a holiday to this island paradise, check out our list of top things to do in Dominican Republic for some inspiring ideas and to help you get the most out of your holiday.
Beaches in the Dominican Republic:
- Visit Puerto Plata for perfect palm-fringed beaches, clear waters and offshore reefs that are perfect for snorkelling.
- Head to Cabarete and the beaches on the northern coast for winds and waves that are perfect for wind surfing.
- Escape the crowds at the undeveloped Barahona.
- For family fun, head to Boca Chica near the capital of Santa Domingo for safe, shallow waters that are great for swimming and splashing around.
Dominican Republic activities:
- Go on a whale-spotting adventure out into the bay, or try your hand at some exhilarating watersports.
- See exotic animals and swim with dolphins at Manati Park.
- Get your adrenaline fix; go white water rafting, ride inflatable tubes along rapids or go cascading in the islands waterfalls.
- Hike to the top of Pico Duarte for sweeping views across the island.
Dominican Republic nightlife:
- Enjoy a night out on the town; from relaxed beach bars to the lively nightclubs of Santa Domingo
- Listen to Merengue and Bachata music as you watch the sun go down with a refreshing Cuba Libre.
- Take in a concert at Santa Domingo's Casa de Francia.
- Sample some delicious cuisine. From local specialities like fried plantain and mangu to the finest international fare, the Dominican Republic's restaurants cater for every budget and taste.
Other popular attractions on holidays in the Dominican Republic:
- Get away from the beach and explore the busy port and narrow streets of Santa Domingo.
- See the stunning underground cave complex at Los Tres Ojos de Agua.
- Learn about the island's history at the Fort San Felipe Museum.
- Catch the cable car to the summit of Mount Isabel de Torres.