Kyoto at a Glance
A holiday to Kyoto encapsulates all that people imagine Japan to be; quiet temples, colourful Shinto shrines and beautiful gardens, perfect for relaxation and a spot of quiet contemplation. It’s also home to numerous Geisha districts, the most famous of which is Gion and top of most visitors sightseeing hit-lists when visiting the area.
You'll Love Kyoto if...
- You’re a couple or family in search of a cultural holiday with plenty of sightseeing.
- You want to immerse yourself in traditional Japanese culture and experience a completely different way of life.
- You wish to see some of the most beautiful gardens, buildings and temples in Japan.
Why visit Kyoto?
When people imagine Japan, they probably imagine somewhere like Kyoto. It provides visitors with all that Japan has to offer from its delicious traditional cuisine, sacred temples and shrines, to the famous Gion district where beautiful geishas entertain.
Top 5 Attractions in and around Kyoto
There are so many places to visit during a holiday to Kyoto it really is hard to know where to start, but here are our recommended top 5 things to see and do;
- Kiyomizudera is one of the most celebrated temples in Japan and not to be missed. Apart from representing the best of Japanese architecture and design, it’s also a UNESCO world heritage site. Please note that the temple is undergoing some construction work until 2013 but is still well worth a visit.
- Visitors to Kyoto rarely miss a chance to visit Gion, the intriguing geisha district, and the most famous in Kyoto. Filled with restaurants, shops and “ochaya” or teahouses, this is where “geiko”, the Kyoto word for geisha and apprentices entertain.
- Katsura Imperial Villa in Western Kyoto is also top of many visitors’ sightseeing lists. It’s one of the finest examples of pure Japanese architecture in Japan and the gardens here are simply stunning, the perfect place for some photo opportunities.
- Kyoto is also in close proximities to other Japanese cities and Osaka is a popular daytrip. Spend a day or long weekend in Osaka to take in its historic castle, shrines and museums.
- The Fushimi Inari Shrine is another Kyoto tourist must-see . It’s famous for its thousands of brightly coloured tori gates which surround a network of pathways behind the main buildings. The paths lead in to the beautiful forest of the sacred Mount Inari.
Book with Confidence on lowcostholidays.com
We are offering great value deals on hotels and flights to Japan so why not book with us today! Remember, we’re fully ABTA and ATOL protected so when you arrange your holiday through us, you can be sure you’re in safe hands.
Please have a look at our main Japan Holidays page.
We don’t believe in package holidays here at lowcostholidays.com so why not tailor-make a package that’s right for you? We can offer you holidays to Kyoto combined with a stay in other Japanese hot-spots such as Osaka and Tokyo so you can create the holiday you want, at a price that’s right.